There might not be a need for that. Your support can make a difference!
How to help a mother dog and and her litter?
1. Shelter – Make sure the mother and her litter have a safe shelter. Choose a place that is safe from traffic. During Summer a box with some newspapers or blankets put in a safe, comfy place will do the trick. During Winter and Monsoon we suggest you build a simple shelter, using bricks, pieces of wood and cement bags.
2. Food – Feeding the mother is important as this will improve/increase her milk production. You can feed her milk, eggs, cerelac, dry food or healthy, clean left overs. Involve local people and ask them to feed the mum too.
3. Nutrition – You can provide extra nutrition to the puppies, such as puppy dry food or cooked food such as warm milk diluted with water, cerelac, eggs, or kitchuri.
4. Adoption – When the puppies are 6 weeks old they can be adopted. You can take them to our shelter in Chobar for worming and vaccination. Create a Facebook page and posters with photos of the puppies and circulate these among your friends. Share the materials with us through Facebook so we can share them on our page.
5. Spaying – After the puppies are gone or no longer drink mother milk call us so the mother can be sterilised or spayed.
How to help abandoned puppies?
Sadly Animal Nepal is unable to accept motherless puppies. Our shelter does not have special puppy facilities, is extremely cold in winter and regularly suffers from communicable diseases (which are very hard to eradicate). The survival rate of puppies at our sanctuary is very low compared to the survival rate on the street. So we kindly ask for your support in trying to help.
Basically the regime for taking care of motherless puppies is the same but the doggies need even more care because they need to be fed and kept warm.
Please be prepared for the long haul. Involve local volunteers to take turns. Doing this on your own is not an easy task!
First create a warm, safe shelter (see above). Make sure the puppies are away from traffic.
Feed the puppies warm milk and cerelac (when very small use a syringe or baby bottle) at least thrice a day. Once they eat solid food add boiled eggs, puppy dry food and/or kitchuri. At night if possible keep them warm with a hot water bottle.
When the puppies are 6 weeks old they can be adopted. You can take them to our shelter in Chobar for worming and vaccination. Create a Facebook page and posters with photos of the puppies and circulate these among your friends. You can send these to us through Facebook so we can promote them on our page.
Thank you for being an angel for a street dog!